Newly renovated office space above Crapola Granola
|Suite 210||Now Available||450||695|
Get to know First Avenue Office Suites
The former James Drug was the longest continuous running business in Ely, before it closed its doors in the 90s. Abidah S. James and town doctor Shipman opened up the James Drug store under Shipman’s makeshift hospital business in the summer of 1888. A. S. James, a pharmacist who was convinced to remain in Ely by Dr. Shipman after a fainting spell, partnered with this only doctor in Ely for decades. He died in Chicago during a buying trip in 1916, while his son, Raub followed in his footsteps as a registered pharmacist and graduate of Harvard. He took over the James Drug business until his death in 1944, ironically also on a buying trip in NYC. Raub’s widow, Elaine Fenske James took over the business, keeping it sustained until a fire broke out in 1947 which caused extensive damage to the building. Mrs. James repaired it and kept it open until her death 8 years later. Shortly after purchasing in 1959, George Berttula hired Lee Schumacher, expanded and kept running the business. Later, Schumacher bought it in the late 70’s after working with George for ten years.